Saturday, January 21, 2017

God's voice, or your imagination?

My daughter asked me how she could tell the difference between God speaking to her and her own thoughts.  This is what I told her.

It is written, "God's ways are not your ways, and God's thoughts are not your thoughts; as high as the heavens are above the earth, so are God's ways above your ways, and God's thoughts above your thoughts."  So focus on three things:

1. You are not God.
I told my daughter this:  the question, "How can I tell if God is speaking to me or if it's my own mind," assumes that you can think something so...profound(?), or whatever, that you couldn't tell the difference between your thoughts and God's, as if there may not be a difference.  But there is a difference!  You are not God, and God is not you.  Not only that, but something else.

2. You are mind isn't God's mind.
I told my daughter this:  Not only are you clearly "not God," but your mind is infinitely inferior to His.  God's mind, intelligence, creativity, and reasonability are infinitely above yours.  Which means this:  all you have to do is think, and you can know that whatever you thought, God didn't, by definition, for this reason:

3.  You can't know God's thoughts unless he reveals them.
It is also written, "No one knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of the person in them, and no one knows God's thoughts expect the Spirit of God."  In the same way that people can't read each others' minds, no one can read God's mind, or know His thoughts, unless He reveals them.  So again, if you are thinking about something, it's clearly you thinking about it.  If you can come up with it, it's not God.  And if you have any doubt as to whether a thought came from you or God, it didn't come from God.  Because God's thoughts are infinitely above yours, you can be certain that if He reveals His thoughts to you, it would be undeniably irresistibly clear.

I told my daughter, "If you don't know if it's God speaking to you, then it's not."

No comments:

Post a Comment