Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Power of Your Words (Part 2)

How do you speak with power?  How do you determine how your words make people feel?
I'll give you two things to consider when you speak:


1. Intent
2. Content


Your words can make people feel how you intend to make them to feel.  First decide how you intend people to feel when they listen to you.  If you intend to make people happy, then consciously choose to bring happiness through your words.  If you intend to make people feel peaceful, then consciously choose to make them feel at peace.


But your intent must be matched by your content.  What you say and how you say it should logically lead to the feeling you want your listener to have.  Good news makes people feel good.  Peaceful news makes them feel at peace.


Here's an example.
I feel honored by you reading my words.  Thank you.


What did I want you to feel?  My honor and appreciation.  I intended to give you those feelings, and I used words to match those feelings.


You can do the same.  Every time you speak, choose wisely your intent and content.


Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 
Ephesian 4:29 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment