Saturday, December 13, 2014

How to resist every temptation (part 4)

You're too sensitive!
Usually Diane's face reddens when Jenna says that. Not today.
You are!  I can barely make a suggestion without you getting all defensive.  I'm just trying to help.
Diane's pale, freckled skin remains unchanged.
Jenna waits with squinted eyes, but nothing happens. What's different about Diane?

I can choose or refuse to respond to Jenna.  I can escape her anger traps.  My lips are doors.  I alone have the key to open them.  My words are safe inside.  My ears are windows.  Locked windows.  Only encouraging words can shine through.  The blinds are shut to everything else.

Oh, so you're giving me the silent treatment?  Real mature Diane.  Real mature.
Excuse me.
Yeah, right. 

Diane goes to the bathroom.  She stands with her back against the closed bathroom door.

God, please help me. 

Diane takes a deep breath and feels her blood flow slowly and smoothly through her body.  She leaves the bathroom and goes back to the living room and sits down.

Jenna, please don't give me unsolicited advice.

Whatever Diane.  You never seemed to mind before.

You're right, I didn't seem to mind because I didn't tell you how I felt.  The reason I don't want you to give me unsolicited advice is because I don't feel like we're friends when you do it.  I feel like you're talking down to me, like a mother talks to a foolish daughter.

After a minute of silence...

I don't mean it like that.  I really don't.  It's just who I am.  I'm just being myself.  Why can't you accept that?

Here's what we can do.  If you ask me whether I want your advice, I can tell you if I do or don't.  But if you give it to me without asking, then I'll leave the room if I can, or ignore you if I can't.

Oh, so you'll ignore me or leave me?  Fine.  If that's what you feel like you need to do.

Is there anything else I can say to work this out with you, Jenna.  I really hope so.  I love you and I need you as my friend, but not as my mother or counselor.

Jenna cries. 

I love you too Diane.  I'm sorry.  I don't know how to stop giving advice.  It's like I hear a problem and feel like I have the answer to it, so I just say it.  But I don't want to treat you like you're a foolish little girl.  Please don't ignore me or leave me.  Tell me when I'm doing it and I'll try to stop.

Alright, I'll do that, if you really agree to try and stop counseling me.

I do agree to that. I love you Diane.

I love you to Jenna.

No comments:

Post a Comment