Monday, September 5, 2016

The Spirit's Answer (A short story)

As I walked on the trail the Spirit of God said to me, "Go to the young man sitting on the bench at the next dock and ask him how he's doing."  I continued to walk until I got to the dock, and sure enough, a young man sat on the bench, looking down at the water.  "How are you doing?" I asked him.  He looked up at me with tear filled brown eyes and said, "I hate myself." He sobbed.  "What do I say to him?" I prayed.  "Tell him that I know the answer to his question and will give it if he wants to hear it."  I said what the Spirit told me to say.  The young man looked intently at me, pushing back his long hair.  "If you have the answer, I want it.  But you can't possibly have it."  I didn't.  So I asked, "Holy Spirit, what is he talking about?"  "Tell him that when he was 7 years old, he wanted to know why his life was so messed up.  This is the answer.  A father and mother are entrusted with children by God Himself.  His parents did the best they knew at the time, but they were learning how to parent him with no training at all."  I said it, not confident that it would mean anything to the young man with brown eyes and long hair.  He stood suddenly.  "How did you know that?  That's exactly what I was thinking about when you walked up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment