Saturday, November 15, 2014

How to KNOW GOD'S WILL for YOUR LIFE (3): How to follow the Holy Spirit

This is how you follow the Holy Spirit:

1. Ask the Holy Spirit to specifically lead you, to tell you what to do.
2. Listen for His answer.
3. Obey His answer.

Step two is the one that challenges some believers.  I'll focus on listening to the Spirit's answer.

When the Spirit leads you or answers you, you sense the answer in two deeply internal ways:
  • Deep, indescribable, perfect peace.  (This means NO confusion, whatsoever.)
  • An intuitive absolute certainty of what to say and do. (This means NO doubt or uncertainty, whatsoever.)
You know that these two sensations are the Holy Spirit because they will focus you on Jesus and you will have perfect control of your mind and will. 
--If you are passive in mind and will, it is not the Holy Spirit.
--If the Jesus isn't the focus, it's not the Holy Spirit.

For example, say I ask the Holy Spirit if I should choose or refuse to accept a job offer in which I can use a God given ability.  After asking Him to lead me, I feel perfect incomprehensible peace and absolutely certain that I should take the job.  This is from the Holy Spirit and I should follow Him.

But if the job is not one that I can use a God given ability, and I feel confused uncertainty, then I know the Spirit is not leading me to take the job.

Or suppose I'm asking if I should marry someone.  This person distracts me from Jesus.  That alone is enough to refuse marriage.  But say she is a Spirit filled believer.  This doesn't mean I should marry her, because there are other Spirit filled women I could meet.  So I pray for the Spirit to lead me.  I feel uncertain and no peace at all.  This is the Spirit telling me not to marry her.

Whatever the case or situation may be, the Spirit will answer with perfect peace and perfect certainty for the Lord's glory, and you will know this with an active mind and will. 

This is how you follow the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment