Saturday, November 29, 2014

Why you have to stop sinning.

This is what the Lord God says,
"The soul that sins will die." 


That's why.
This is why you and I must stop sinning.


We will destroy our relationship to God and those we love.
Yes, God forgives.  So do our loved ones.  But this doesn't change the death that comes from sinning.


Let's make sin real.  Practical.  Let's take it out of the theological hypothetical philosophical realm.


I'm married. 
I've been married for 12 years.
I've never committed adultery, nor has my wife.
But what if I did?  What if I broke the commandment, "You shall not commit adultery?"
What if my wife caught me, on our bed, with another woman, screaming in sexual pleasure.
Graphic you say?  Yes, it is.  Which is why my wife would most likely divorce me.  How would she ever get that image out of her head?  How would I if I caught her enraptured in another man's arms?


That sin would kill our marriage.
Sin kills.
Each sin kills.
Every sin kills.


Why don't we see this?
Why do we say things like, "We all sin every day, and we're going to keep sinning until Jesus comes back?" 


Can I tell my wife that?  Can I tell her that I'm going to keep committing adultery, or fantasizing about adultery, until Jesus comes back?  Could I have told her that at the altar, where we were making our vows to each other, vows to forsake all others until death separates us?  Because death separates us, and sin leads to death. 


This is why you and I have to stop sinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment