Saturday, October 10, 2015

How to Experience God's Peace

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 NIV

What does the peace of God feel like?  I used to think it was overwhelming tranquility, like being high on marijuana or the buzz of alcohol, but supernatural.  Now I know what the peace of God feels like.  

Earlier this week I felt anxious about a situation on my job.  I remembered what Paul said about praying when we feel anxious, so I did, expecting the transcendent peace of God.  After praying, I did experience God's peace.  It was subtle, yet real and powerful.  I realized that anxiety was more than just a feeling; it is a mindset that brings about a feeling. It's when I can't stop thinking about something that concerns me, something in the future.  What I felt after praying was that I no longer felt compelled to think about the situation, even though the situation hadn't changed, nor had my concerns about the future changed.  This is the peace of god, and it really does transcend understanding.  There was no logical reason for me to not worry, or think about the future.  It was simply an answer to prayer.  God did this for me and He will do it for you.

If you agree, pray with me:

Our Father in heaven,
You know what I'm worried about right now, the even in my future that I have no control over.  Please take care of this event for me, and until you do, give me your perfect incomprehensible peace.  In Jesus name.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment