Saturday, September 26, 2015

Who's watching Anonda?

Anonda felt something.  It was like being watched, but no one was home.  "Who's there?" she thought to herself, almost expecting an answer.  That's what "it" felt like.  An audition or the beginning of an interview.  "Who's inspecting me?"  Anonda tried to put the feeling out of her mind and continue reading.  She liked letting the setting sun light illuminate her page.  But before she could get back into her novel, she felt it again.  Usually she would turn in the direction of the inspection.  Instead she searched her mind, as if the inspector was there.  "How is that possible?  How can I feel someone in me is observing me?" She decided to assume it was true...that someone was in her, watching her.

"Alright.  'It' had to come in while I was distracted, while I was engrossed in my reading.  But that's no good, because I wouldn't have noticed, so I can't tell when that would've been exactly...."

"What if I was here before you started reading?"

Anonda slammed the book shut.  "It" was talking to her. She refused to answer.

For five minutes, "it" said nothing.  She tried to blank her mind, breathing heavily. 

"If you were here already, why didn't you say anything?"  Anonda held her breath; she didn't mean to ask that...she actually wasn't asking "it," she was thinking to herself...trying to figure this out...which she thought was her first mistake, even entertaining this craziness....

"You ignore me mostly."

"Who are you?"

"I am The One who Guides your conscience.  You can barely hear me because you ignore me."

"It" was right.  She'd actually decided to ignore her conscience, and in doing so, evidently, she ignored "It" as well.

"Are you angry with me?"

"Should I be?"

"I hope not.  I'm sorry for ignoring my conscience, for ignoring you.  Can we start over?"
"Yes, we can always start over.  My voice will get louder, and clearer, from now on, if you want it to."
"I do."

"Then talk to me about the story, about what you're reading."

Anonda thought about the novel and how angry she felt with the main character, who reminded her of herself...the main character had been ignoring the one who loved her most....

No comments:

Post a Comment