Monday, February 29, 2016

What is God's Name?

Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”  God said to Moses, “I am who I am.  This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”
Exodus 3:13-14 NIV

Your name is who you are, or it should be.  In our culture we don't value names as they did in Bible times.  But we should.  God does.  He especially values His own name, as it is written,

“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."

God's name encompasses who and what He is.  If someone asked you God's name, if someone wanted to know who and what God is, what would you say?  Moses wondered the same thing; he received the answer to the question. 

WHAT IS GOD'S NAME?
This is the question of all questions, the question behind every question.  The name of God is the origin of every name.  If we don't know His name, how can we know anyone else's name, including our own. Who God is defines who we are; His name defines what everyone and everything is.  But the name of God remains unknown to many, as it was unknown to those in Athens in the days of the Apostle Paul.  Listen to Paul's words:

“Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects.  For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, ‘TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.’ Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you." 
Acts 17:22-23

Who is the unknown God, the one you may or may not know as you read my words? 
God gave Moses His name when Moses asked. 
I will proclaim to you the God you may or may not know.

GOD'S NAME
He is. 
God is the one who simply is who He is. 
This is God's name, and His name alone. 
There is no one else who simply is. 

We all come from someone.  Everything comes from something...except God.  He is.  He is who He is.  The unborn and undying, beginning-less and endless.  Without father or mother, unborn undying.  God. 

Unless you know that He alone exists alone, your entire life is based on a lie; your whole world is based on the lie.

He comes from no one, but you come from Him.

What is God's name?  The answer to this question is the answer to every question in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment