Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Smile of God (A Short Story)

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Matthew 5:3

God, I want to do your will, no matter what.  Please show me your will.

I wait, alone, in the silence of my room, cherishing time to hear from my Creator. 

Then it happens.  An undeniable impression.
I saw the face of the love of my life, the woman I adored deeply. 

Intuitively, I knew what I had to do.  In three days, when she would come to me, I was to end our relationship.

I can't.  Not that.  Can't I work things out with her?  I know she rejects You, but maybe she's immature.  She may need more time.

The impression remained.  The date was set.  In three days, I must let her go.

On day one, I fasted and prayed, seeking every verse that suggested the possibility of her change of heart.

On day two, I took a vow of silence.  I wanted to hear with a clear heart.  I must know from God.

On day three, the day of the decision known by intuition in my impression, I lay prostrate before God.

Please.  Dearest God.  Please. 

The answer remained.  God's mind doesn't change.

I hear a knock on my door.  It's her.  My heart and soul is at my door.

Hi.
Hey sweetie.  What took you so long to answer?
I have something to tell you.  Please come in.
What's wrong?  You look...I don't know...what's going on?
I look deeply into her dark, soft eyes, those brown eyes that melt me.  And I simply said it.
We can't be together.
Why?

Remember when I told you that I have come to a point in my life where I want to belong completely to God?

I remember.

You said you didn't want that, but that you respected my wishes.  But we can't be together, we can't get married, if we aren't both seeking God's will for our lives.

Darren....why?
More than anything, anything in this world, I hated it when she cried.

Melissa, with all of my heart and soul, I love you.  But I love God supremely.  We can't be together.

Her brown tear filled eyes continued to melt me.  She kissed me sweetly, a kiss that entranced me, but didn't sway me.

I love you too, Darren.

Then she was gone.

As I watch her walk to her car I feel like running after her, grabbing her, hugging her, changing my mind.  I felt like I could...almost like I would.  If she'd only been mad, it would've been so much easier to watch her walk away.  She looked back, and waved the most beautiful wave I've ever seen.  Why can't she just get mad, look mad, act mad?  I'm in love with the way she's leaving.  She gets in her car, shuts the door, drives away.

Then it happened.

It felt like a cloud lifting, like a mist evaporating.  The temptation was over.  I felt light and enlightened,  clarity filled me and came over me. 

I felt the smile of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment