Monday, December 30, 2013

God and Yusef's Accident (Another True Story)


Yusef laughed and joked and talked, not seeing the car coming towards me;  the car hit us on my side, totaling Yusef's car.

I sat at the table in my apartment.  Yusef sat on my couch, looking off in silence.

"God, how can I encourage Yusef?"

"Take him to the neighborhood you like to go to with the big beautiful houses.  Take him at night, playing jazz music."

This didn't seem like something Yusef would like at all, let alone something that would encourage him.  He seemed like a tough guy kind of guy. 

I felt a choice in me.  Perfect freedom and liberty:
Listen to the Spirit.  Ignore the Spirit.

I listened.

Night came.  I took Yusef for a drive, in the neighborhood with big beautiful houses that I liked, listening to jazz.

"Why are you doing this?" Yusef asked.

"No reason," I responded, embarrassed.

"I used to do this all the time!  I used to go driving at night in neighborhoods with big houses, listening to jazz.  But I never thought anyone would want to do that with me."

"The Spirit told me to do it."

We continued to drive and talk.

I felt honored by God, who revealed these secrets to me:
  • He was with Yusef all those nights when Yusef drove.
  • He was with Yusef during the accident. 
  • He was with Yusef right now.
If I hadn't listened to the Spirit, I wouldn't have received this honor.
I wouldn't have encouraged my brother.
I wouldn't have come to know the beautiful presence of God.
In Yusef's life.
And in mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment