Friday, March 21, 2014

How To Know God Will Reveal His Will To You

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"  Matthew 7:11

If my son Matthias wanted to know my will for him, I'd gladly tell him.  The same is true for God your heavenly Father and you.

Let's say Matthias made a mistake in hearing or following my instructions, but I know he wants to do what I said.  All he wants is my will and pleasure.  What would I do about his mistake?  I'd redirect him.  If I wanted him to go left, but he went right, I'd say, "No Matthias, stop where you are and turn in the other direction." 

What if Matthias deliberately disobeyed my clear instructions?  What if I told him to empty the trash before going outside to play, but he went outside anyway, leaving an overflowing trash can in the kitchen?  My will for Matthias hasn't changed.  I would go outside and get Matthias, discipline him, and redirect him to do what I said in the first place.

Either way, as a father who is serious about my will being done, I would make this clear to Matthias if he wanted to know it.  I would redirect him if he made a mistake.  I would discipline and redirect him if he deliberately disobeyed.  But my will wouldn't change, and my revelation of my will to him would be clear, no matter what.  I love my son, and I want him to know what he's supposed to be doing.

If Matthias said, "Dad, all I want to do is your will, please tell me what it is,"  would I let him just "figure it out?"  Of course not.  I'd be very happy and humbled by my son's desire to please me, and I'd make my will as clear and easy to follow for him as possible. I'd help him do what I want him to do.  I'd be with him and give him what he needed to do it. 



You can know the will of God in the same way Matthias can know my will.  Ask your heavenly perfect Father right now what He wants you to do.  Be sincere.  If you really want His will more than anything else, it will touch His heart, just as it touches me to see my son trying to please me and do what I say.

Pray this prayer,

"Father God, all I want to do is Your will.  All I want is to be what You made me to be, and to do what You made me to do, where You made me to do it, how You made me to do it, and why You made me to do it.  I live to be what You made me to be.  Please show Your will to me, and provide for me to do it.  In Jesus name, and by your Spirit, and for you glory, Amen."

Until He reveals His unknown will to you, do His known will for you right now.  You know it's God's will for you to love your neighbor as yourself, for example. So love your nearest neighbor as yourself by treating him or her like you want to be treated.  Go ahead.  Whoever is near you, do something for him or her that you want him or her to do for you in the same situation.  Genuinely greet him.  Sincerely ask her how she's doing. If you are treating him like you want to be treated, you are doing God's known will in your life right now.  You can't know His unknown will unless you are doing His known will right now.

Know that if you prayed that prayer and meant it, you just touched the heart of God, and He will gladly and clearly show you His will:  what to do, when to do it, how to do it, and why to do it.  He will help you do His will, giving you everything you need to accomplish it.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment