Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Husband who Healed His Wife

My head hurts so bad I can't stand it.
I'm sorry sweetie.  How long has it been hurting?
For about an hour now.  I can barely think straight.
Can I pray for you sweetheart?
Yes, I would very much appreciate it.




The husband went to get his Bible and the Olive Oil he set aside for one purpose:  to pray for the sick, according to these verses of scripture:


Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.  And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up.


The husband studied these scriptures and the role of "elders."  He found out that an elder is a church leader, one who is a "mature and seasoned man of experience."  The husband led a home church of in his neighborhood of 5 people. 


It was late, and he thought about the application of this verse to his situation.  In his home, he realized by the Spirit that he is the "elder," or leader, of his home, as it says in scripture: 


But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.  1 Corinthians 11:3


"So in my home, Christ is my 'elder,' I am my wife's 'elder,' and God is the 'Elder' of Christ," the husband thought.  It's the only thing that made scriptural sense in his situation.  If he were sick, he would have no "elder" to call, other than Christ, who is the head of the man in the home.


All of these thoughts went through the husband's head as he got his anointing oil and Bible. 
He came to his wife, who was now lying on the couch with her eyes closed.  Filled with compassion for his hurting wife, he opened the scriptures and the oil.  "I'll simply pray exactly what the scriptures say," he decided.


"Our Father in heaven, I pray over my wife and anoint her with oil in the name of the Lord.  Let my prayer offered in faith make my wife well; Lord, please raise her up.  Amen."

"Amen," his wife said.



She sat up and said, "I actually feel much better!  Thank you so much."
You're welcome sweetie.  I thank God for hearing me and touching you.  Is your headache completely gone?
No, not completely, but when you prayed and put the oil on my head, the throbbing completely stopped.  I still feel pressure, but it's faint and bearable.  I feel like I can think and do things now, even though the slight pressure is still in the back of my head.  I feel so much better.  Thank you again.  It really made a difference.
You're welcome.
Do you want something from the kitchen?  I'm going to get some tea.
No thank you.




His wife went to the kitchen and he thought about what happened.  He knew he didn't have the "gift of healing."  He was not a healer.  The Word of Wisdom was his spiritual gift.  But he also knew what the scriptures said he should do if someone is sick, so for him it was a matter of simple obedience to that command like any other command in scripture.  But he thought about something else. 


Jesus said one of the signs that would follow those who believe is laying hands on the sick and the sick recovering.  He thought about the different words related to sickness that he remembered in scripture:


1. Healed.
2. Made whole.
3. Raised up.
4. Recovering.
5. Made well.


He also thought about the role of faith in the healer and healed, as well as the measure of giftedness each believer has.  Finally, he thought about love and how when his wife was in pain, he simply wanted her to not be in pain anymore, to feel better, to feel good.  Maybe the least he should expect when he prays for sick people is that in some way they feel better, that they are able to think and function without pain as a distraction.  He learned from Ravi Zacharias that any pain (or pleasure) that distracts, diminishes, or destroys God's goal for your life is an illegitimate pain or pleasure.  Nothing should keep distract us form prayer and service.


Like when Jesus healed Peter's mother-in-law of a fever, and she got up and served them. 


He thought about basic Christian supernatural healing like taking Tylenol when he has a headache and has to go to work.  Even though the Tylenol doesn't "heal him" of the fever or whatever his body is fighting off through the fever, the Tylenol relieves his pain and the distraction of the fever so that he can focus on doing his job.


He believed now that the least he could do by the Spirit, by trusting God's word, is relieve people of pain out of love, and for the purpose of them doing what God has them to do without pain as a distraction.  In some way, he thought, every prayer should bring some relief...at least the relief of the "peace that surpasses all understanding," as Paul said. 


Jesus at least makes people feel better.  He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.









No comments:

Post a Comment