Saturday, January 4, 2014

How to Feel God When You Read The Bible



 

"You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to Me!"  The Lord Jesus, John 5:39  NLT

Have you ever read a book and felt a connection with the author? 
Like he was in the room with you? Like she understood your very soul?

This author has poured his heart into his book.  She put her spirit in each letter and chapter.

So it is with the scriptures.
The Bible is "God breathed."

When you read it, move from the intellectual to the emotional. 
This is how you feel God when you read the Bible.

Start simple.

When you read Genesis 1, what does the Bible say God feels?
Pleased!  He looks at what He made, and He feels intense pleasure!
Feel it as you read it.  Ask the question, "What is my impression of God?"

What kind of Person do you encounter as you read about God creating all things?
I feel Him to be a very artistic and organized Person.  My perception is of one who looks and thinks and feels deeply about what He is doing.  He makes distinctions.  Light and darkness.  Day and Night.  Above and below.  Earth and Sea. 

What about in the story of Noah and the flood,  when God says His heart is grieved, that He is filled with sorrow, and that He regrets ever making people?  How does that impact your heart?

I felt like I never wanted God to feel like that about making me.

Do you see what I'm doing?

I'm feeling Him.
I'm not just thinking.
I'm feeling.
Connecting with God's feelings.

In the Bible God is very emotionally expressive.
Vulnerable even.  Passionate.  Sensitive.  Fierce.

So the next time you read the Bible, read what He feels, and feel it with Him.
This will give you more than letters, but direct God encounters.

You'll know Him as He was, and thus know Him as He is.

Image from bound4africa.blogspot.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment