Monday, January 13, 2014

What does it mean when we say "In Jesus' Name?"

When we pray, cast out demons, or heal the sick in the name of Jesus, it means we do these things in His authority, for His glory,  and according to His reputation. 

IT MEANS SUBMISSION TO JESUS' AUTHORITY

The Lord Jesus said all authority is given to Him in heaven and on earth.  When we act in His name, or according to His will, we are acting on the supreme right of God's Son to rule all things in our lives.  We can know that Jesus Himself will enforce our words and deeds if they are done in submission to Him.

IT MEANS SEEKING JESUS' GLORY

Who are we focused on when we pray?  Who do we want to get the credit when we heal?  What name makes demons afraid?  Only the name of Jesus.  We want all attention on Him.

IT MEANS HONORING JESUS' REPUTATION

When I was in college, an under classmen wanted to rent a car.  But he didn't have a credit card.  I did.  He wanted to borrow it.  I said, "Now when you use my credit card, remember that it's in my name.  Everything you do with this car will reflect on me.  So don't do anything with this rental car that I wouldn't do."  My reputation was on the line.  When we use Jesus' name, so is his.

  • We who believe in Jesus have the honor of approaching God the Father in the name of His Son. 
  • When we say, "In Jesus' name," we have authority at the throne of God; we seek the glory of His Son, and seek to honor His Son's reputation. 
  •  This is what it means when we say, "In Jesus' Name."



No comments:

Post a Comment