Tuesday, January 21, 2014

How to Know God's Children

How do you know God's children?  Or how do you know if you are one of God's children?  The scriptures, the inspired words of God, give three clear and compelling proofs.

YOU BELIEVE IN JESUS.
The word of God says, "You are children of God through faith in Christ Jesus."  Galatians 3:26

What does faith in Christ Jesus really mean?  It doesn't mean going to church, reading the Bible, or simply knowing about Jesus.  It means:
  • Actively trusting in who Jesus is and what Jesus did.
  • Actively distrusting in who you are and what you did.
Jesus is the Son of God, God in human form.  He died the death you and I deserve to die.  When we trust Him, and Him alone, as the one who saves our lives, we are born again.  We become God's children.

GOD'S SPIRIT BEARS WITNESS.
"The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God."  Romans 8:16

When I said these words one night in my room, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He died for my sins," I felt the Spirit cover me like a blanket of peace.  Jesus Himself experienced God's Spirit bearing witness to His Father's words from heaven, "You are My Beloved Son, and I am very pleased with You."  Everyone who believes in Jesus has an initial and continual experience of God Himself affirming them as His children.  He does this by His Spirit.

I spoke to my senior class about the Lord Jesus Christ, telling them He died for their sins, and that this is the best graduation gift.  I felt the Spirit of God, like liquid power and presence before I spoke.  The Spirit bore witness to my words as a son of God. And I knew deep in me that I was God's son.

YOUR SPIRIT BEARS WITNESS.
"The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God."  Romans 8:16

From that night alone in my dark bedroom that I believed in Jesus, I knew deep in me that I was a child of God.  His son.  This defines me.  Like when Jesus was 12 and He said to His mother and earthly father, "Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" Luke 2:49.  It was Jesus' personal awareness of being God's son that made him say this.  He knew it.  Joseph and Mary, at that moment, weren't aware of His identity.  But He was, and so are those who believe in Jesus.

  • You know you trust in Jesus for your very life, and that you were born again when that happened.
  • You feel God the Father's attention on you as one of His Children.
  • You feel deep inside your self that you are indeed one of God's children.

This is how to know God's children.
This is how you know you are one of God's children.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment