Saturday, January 18, 2014

What it's like to FOLLOW THE SPIRIT

Think of following the Spirit like when you are following moment by moment directions.

Like when you're in a city you've never been in before and you're getting directions from a friend whose using map quest while you drive.

I recently drove in Miami Beach, having never been there before.  I stopped for directions to I-95, and followed the woman's directions as best as I could.  There always comes this point where I'm either not sure I heard the directions right, or not sure I was given good directions.  Why?  Because I'm having to completely trust someone who knows something I don't:  WHERE I AM!

So I follow.  Feeling uncertain, but having the directions, I follow. What usually causes the doubt is when it takes a little longer than I thought it would take to reach my destination.  The longer I drive, the more I start to feel doubt...until I see the first sign post she told me to look for:  The Dade Mall.  "You won't be able to miss it," she said.

I saw it. 
I was going the right way.

Later, I needed directions again and called Lucy.  She told me to look for a yellow building on the left that she could see on MapQuest while I drove.  I trust my wife, but I couldn't see the yellow building.  She told me to keep going and I would.  (She was actually watching online the route I was taking.) 

Sure enough, I saw the yellow building, followed the directions she found, and made it to my hotel.

  • This is how it is to follow the Spirit.
  • He knows where you are and where you're going, having been there before, seeing what you can't see.
  • He knows how to get you from point a (where you are) to point b (where He wants you.)
Because you don't know where you are or where you're going, having never been to where the Spirit is trying to take you, it will feel like it does when you're on the road in a new city.  But you have to trust the one giving you directions.  His directions will be clear enough to follow.  (If the directions are not clear, THEY ARE NOT FROM THE SPIRIT OF GOD.) 

But you will have to trust him, even when you don't see the sign posts, until you do see the sign posts.

And you will

No comments:

Post a Comment