Sunday, October 6, 2013

The ONLY Distinction of Christians (Part 2)

“Why do I have to go to a seminar about Muslims!? We’re so scared of them we’re giving them what they want!” yelled Officer Peters.

“We’re being educated about them because so many of us don’t really know about their beliefs or culture.” replied Officer James.

“How much do you know about the Jews and their culture? How much do you know about Christians?”

“But those religions are more common in America.”

“But how much do you KNOW? Do you know what you’re supposed to do in a synagogue? Do you know how you’re supposed to enter the Catholic Church?”

As I listened, I understood that Officer Peters was focused on the known distinctions between "religions." I thought about my distinction as a Christian. As a follower of Jesus, I don’t wear special clothes or head pieces. I don’t have certain rituals at certain times of the day. I don’t have a prayer rug. I don’t pray in a certain geographical direction towards the sun. So what is my distinction? How could someone look at me and KNOW I’m a Christian?

We say all of the time, “Christianity is not a religion, it’s a relationship: a personal relationship with Jesus; with a person; with The Person.” This is supposed to be our distinction. But really, what people see us doing is reading or listening to someone read. Did Jesus come to give us a book? Did He come to give us a building in which to read the book? Are we known by our buildings and our book?

No comments:

Post a Comment