Monday, February 3, 2014

Does God REALLY Know EVERYTHING? (An Afterthought)

"You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.   Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely."  Psalms 139:2,4

The Spirit of God showed me something.  This is what I saw.
 


In college I was a music major.  My focus was music composition.  As I wrote a piece of music one day I got a glimpse of how God feels as the Creator.  There was a feeling I was trying to express in sound and music.  Something about myself I wanted to share with all who would listen.  But to do this, I needed other musicians.  If they cooperated, if they played what was in my head, then they too would join in as expressions of my unique emotions.  Through improvisation or even their own interpretations, they could add something that I didn't write....as long as they were true to what I did right...not contradicting by adding or subtracting or negating my music.

It was like that with God when He created us all.  Each of us play instruments in the orchestra of God's symphony of life. We each add through prayer and obedience a sweet variation on God's original intention...unless we sin.  Then we are like independent musicians who won't blend.  They want to be heard above the other musicians, to make their own composition.  They want solos when their part in the music hasn't come.  Or they break off from the original orchestra and seek to make their own music to rival the Original Composer. 

But all of this is still an introduction to revelation.

What I saw was in the small word "perceive" quoted in Psalms 139:2 above.

As I meditated on this verse in college, there seemed a subtle difference between "perceiving" something and "knowing" something.  Very subtle, but very real.  This is how God showed it to me.

I knew every note in whatever piece I wrote.  Every note before it was played.  Yet I listened to my music with pure joy, not anticipating what was coming next with the scientific focus of a music theorist.  I didn't simply want the notes that I wrote to be "played right," because of course I knew every note before it is played.  Do you feel what I'm saying?  As the composer I didn't listen with a technical knowledge of my own music, simply to make corrections to imperfections.  I listened for what I felt when I was inspired to write in the first place.  With anticipation, I "perceived from afar" that inspiration.

I sensed how God feels about us, how "before a word is on our tongue He knows it completely," just as before the note is played by a musician, I the composer knew it completely.  I could have sung the note before the saxophone played it...but why would I do that?  I want to hear him play it, even though I already know it, or perceive it.  I know what He will play, but I want to hear it any way. 

Like  in Genesis Chapter 2, when God brought the animals to animals to Adam "to see what Adam would name them.  And whatever Adam named them, that was the animals name."  Why did God want "to see what Adam would name them?"  How could the animals' names be completely up to Adam, as if God had to wait to see what name Adam would give?  As if He didn't "know" what Adam would name them until He did? 

Like a composer, God "knew" and didn't "know," and by know I mean present tense direct experience.  If Adam hasn't said the name, then there is nothing yet to know from experience.  Key word: EXPERIENCE.  Now God did "pre-experience" Adam naming them, "perceiving Adam's thoughts from afar; before the words, the names of each animal, was on Adam's tongue, God knew it completely,"  but experienced Adam naming them only while Adam named them.  God made the animals, so He knew the names best suited for them.  But the names of the animals were now in Adam, so much so that even God had to wait...perceiving Adam's thought from afar.

Does God REALLY Know EVERYTHING? 
Yes!  About everything...and everyone...including you.
His knowledge is vast, deep, intimate, intuitive....relational....personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment