Friday, February 28, 2014

How to Use The Power of Your Free Mind

"I have found that, to make a contented slave, it is necessary to make a thoughtless one."
Fredrick Douglas


Do you realize that your power to think whatever you choose is one of the most God like traits you have?  I treasure hearing my own thoughts so much that I can almost not bear needless noise or confusion or chaos.  I've got to deal with it of course, but I now know that I have the power to deal with it.  I can choose or refuse my mental focus.  So can you.


You're reading my words by choice and for a reason.  Why are you reading?  Is someone forcing you to read this blog?  Of course not. And no one is forcing me to write you.  I'm writing you  because I'm sharing with you my honor of my hero Fredrick Douglas on the last day of Black History Month. I want to inspire you as he is inspiring me to be as free as God wants us to be.


We're both freely thinking, as freely as God Himself thinks.  This is the power of your free mind, the power to be like God.


Can anyone make God think what He refuses to think about?  Or does anyone deceive God?  What would that mean?  It would mean someone could make God think that He is something that He is not.  But God says boldly, "I am who I am."


And you are who you are, if you accept that God is who He is.  This starts in the power of your free mind. 


So how do you experience this power today, right now, in whatever you are getting ready to do?


Focus on one thing:  A spiritual mindset.


Choose a "fixed mental focus that predetermines your interpretations and responses to situations." 


That's the definition of "mindset" I found in dictionary.com.  It's the best definition of mindset I've ever read. 


The Apostle Paul says this about mindsets, "Those who live in accordance with the Spirit set their minds on what the Spirit desires." 


So let the desires of the Spirit predetermine your interpretation and responses to every situation.  Define life by what the Spirit wants, and respond to everything based on whether it fulfills His desires. You interpret life by what the Spirit desires, and you respond accordingly.


Your friend calls you in deep depression because he may lose his job.  What does the Spirit want you to say to your friend who is in need today?  Your spiritual mindset makes you interpret your friend's need by the Spirit's desire to meet that need, and you respond to your friend based on what the Spirit desires for him.  The Spirit is showing you how to comfort your friend, and you follow the Spirit's desires.  This was "predetermined."  This was your spiritual mindset.


How does The Spirit desire you to respond to an insult from a coworker?  Your spiritual mindset, which is the source of the power of your God given free mind, will predetermine your interpretation and responses to the insult. You know that the Bible says, "Bless those who curse you, bless and curse not," for example.  So your spiritual mindset has predetermined that when someone insults you, you will not insult them back. 


Your interpretation and responses are predetermined by YOU.  This is the power of your free mind. Nothing will force you to act or react.  It all starts with the power of your free mind. 


You're already using it while you're reading my words.  You are already experiencing the power of Fredrick Douglas' discovery of overcoming slavery. 


I'm convinced that this freedom of your mind and my mind is the real issue of Black History Month and all I've been reflecting on.  Slavery in this country and every country is the enslavement of minds to shackle the will.  If you stop thinking about who God is, who you are, and who our real enemy is--the devil himself, you will be a slave to Satan, sin, and Satan's system, and things will be worse than the worse days of African Americans in this country, or of those who are still oppressed in this world. Your plantation will be your own darkened mind.  What could be worse than being a slave in your own body?


Use the power of your free mind to choose a spiritual mindset.  Have a fixed mental disposition that predetermines your interpretations and responses to every situation.  Choose this fixed mental disposition, or ask yourself this question in every situation: 


"What does the Spirit of God desire me to say or do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment