Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Your Number One Goal Today

You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is good for you. And even though "I am allowed to do anything," I must not become a slave to anything.  1 Corinthians 6:12 NLT

Try this today, just for one day:

REFUSE TO CONTROL OR BE CONTROLLED.

Focus on the first one.
We love to say, "Nobody will control me." 
But are we as adamant about giving others liberty?

I don't believe we are.  We insist and persist and demand and command.

Of course some of you are in positions of authority. 
Supervisors. Teachers.

I understand this. But it still applies.  What can you do in your position in terms of people's actions?

You can command and enforce your commands with consequences that those who follow you choose.

That's it.
It's quite liberating really.

If you only focus on what YOU'RE going to do or not do in response to people, you won't become a slave to anything or anyone, NOR WILL YOU ENSLAVE ANYTHING OR ANYONE.

If a teacher says these words to a girl misbehaving in her class, "You have these options Sheila.  If you choose to stop talking to Debbie while I'm teaching, I'll finish my lesson and when you leave class in 10 minutes, you and Debbie can finish what you're saying. But if you refuse to stop talking to Debbie, even for 10 minutes, I will call your mother at work after class and tell her how you've disrupted my class today.  The choice is yours Sheila."

You are not forcing Sheila to talk or stop talking.  You are not controlling her, but your response to her. 

You refuse to attempt to control Sheila; you refuse to be controlled by Sheila.

Try it today.  Try it as your number one goal. 
Why number one?

Because every relationship there is, between God and you, between you and everyone else, must begin with freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment