Sunday, February 9, 2014

When and How Should We Give Offerings To God? (Part 2)

This is how it is when we give any offering to God:
1. We should give offerings to God when our hearts prompt us to give them.
2. We should give the offerings to God that He Himself wants to receive from us.

The second one may seem tricky at first, but it's not at all. I'll show you.

I used to love Bugs Bunny Fruit Chew Snacks.  Bugs Bunny. Not Spiderman or Veggie Tales.
Bugs Bunny.

Anyone who really knew me knew this about me.

I had two girlfriends at two different times in my late teen years. 

One bought me Bugs Bunny Fruit Snacks, and I loved her for it.  She remembered this about me.

The other got me some other brand, and almost threw them at me for my birthday, like she almost resented the fact that I would be so silly in liking something so trivial.  It would have been better if she didn't even remember my birthday.

But God isn't like this.  I'll show God's love, and what our love should be like for Him.

Once I worked in a movie theatre in Athens, Ga.  I was very low on money at the time.  Some of my coworkers were going to get something to eat and invited me.  But I didn't have any money, so I didn't go with them.  A little later, one came back and said, "They messed up my order and gave me a hamburger with only ketchup on it.  Do you want it?"  Tears came to my eyes, though not enough for the guy to see them.  "Yes," I said. And took the burger. 

Anyone who knew me knew that I loved hamburgers with only ketchup.  The God of the universe thought enough of me to not only give me a hamburger, but to give me my favorite kind of hamburger.  Why did God do this for me?  His heart prompted Him to.  This is how it should be for you and me.

We should give offerings to God when our hearts prompt us to.  And out of real love for God, we should give Him the exact offerings that would make Him happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment