Saturday, February 15, 2014

If I Were A Slave: A Tribute To My Redeemer and Ancestors (3)

They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?"  John 8:33



We've forgotten.  We think that slavery is just a bad memory in this country that we need to "move on from."  We need to "get over it" and stop "playing the race card."  Now of course, Jews will "never forget" the holocaust, and we respect them for remembering their sufferings.  We will "never forget" September 11, 2001.  And the world respects us for remembering this day. 



Black History month is a time when I as an African-American will never forget my ancestors.  I will never forget my Redeemer, the Lord Jesus Christ, who set us free in this country.  It was Jesus alone who caused us to sing, "We shall overcome. God is on our side."



When the slaves learned to read the Bible, they saw that God is on the side of the oppressed. They saw God delivering Israel from Egyptian oppression.  They read the prophecy in Isaiah of the Messiah who would be anointed by the Spirit to set captives free and deliver the oppressed.  Jesus was the redeemer of my ancestors, and He is my redeemer now.



But my people have forgotten our redeemer.  Like the Jews Jesus spoke to in His day, my people say, "We have never been slaves to anyone."


click HERE for part 4



No comments:

Post a Comment