Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Truest Calling of African-American Christians

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. stood at the mountain top of his dream and saw me, my white wife, my seven children, together.  He saw me without fear, ready to kill any  Ku Klux Klan member in the name of Jesus and by the power of the Spirit who comes near me to kill me for loving Lucy.  Dr. King saw an African-American president.  Love him or hate him, agree or disagree, the day President Obama became president changed my entire view of this country. I felt like I was in a different world.  Or I saw a glimpse of one.  A glimpse of King's mountain top.  A glimpse of my people's destiny.

Why did we come here?  What was the purpose of the tragedy of our lost history, identity, ethnicity?



All of my life I've wanted to know what Paul knew in the scriptures.  He knew He was a descendent of Abraham from the tribe of Benjamin.  I know I am a descendent of Ham, but I don't know my tribe, my clan, my homeland, my culture or language.  And even if I found out, I'm still a leaf fallen from a tree.  I wouldn't even know which tree.  All would be lost for me and my identity if Christ Jesus, My Lord, didn't save me.

He gave me a new identity which encompasses my lost identity.  If it ever was really lost.  I decree that it wasn't.  I am a son of Ham.  It's obvious.  Perhaps the biggest deception of Satan is that slaves lost themselves to white masters and their redefinitions.  But who made Ham?  Who made the West Africans who came to this country?  Can Satan take away what God formed for His glory?

A prophet told me at the beginning of my journey: 

"The struggle is not to be black, but to be like Christ, and in being like Christ, your blackness will come naturally."


Natural blackness.  God likeness in my blackness.  Without even trying.

What is the truest calling of African-American Christians?


It is to show America the truest freedom: 
The struggle is not to be Americans, but to be like Christ, and in being like Christ, America will be what it should have been.  Not a place that destroyed those who were here before, nor a place that enslaved those who came after.  Not a "New Jerusalem."  Not the richest country in the world.  But a beacon of liberation that only comes through Christ's salvation.

African-American Christians, you bear witness. 
Remember the God of our weary years.

No comments:

Post a Comment